AUDUS HIRST MEMORIAL APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255620
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
AUDUS HIRST MEMORIAL APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of AUDUS HIRST MEMORIAL APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255620.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 12:47:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
AUDUS HIRST MEMORIAL APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 27467 40204

Details

LEEDS

SE24SE CHURCH LANE, Adel 714-1/2/468 (East side (off)) Audus Hirst memorial approx. 30m S of Church of St John the Baptist

GV II

Memorial to the Audus Hirst family. 1884. A Welsh of Leeds, sculptor. Ashlar and marble. Statue of youthful winged figure carrying a garland, right arm raised, hand missing, urn on ground to left, under 4 composite columns supporting a roof with pedimented gable; carved shield and scrolls in the tympanum, entablature inscription: 'UNTIL THE DAY BREAK AND THE SHADOWS FLEE AWAY'. The inscription on the statue plinth commemorates Suzannah Audus Hirst, d.1884, and her husband, William, d.1896, also Edward Audus Hirst, d.1937. The sculptor's name is carved on the back of the memorial.



Listing NGR: SE2746840222

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465842
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05020/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Brightwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].