Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255632

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1991

Statutory Address: 98, CHAPELTOWN ROAD


Ordnance survey map of 98, CHAPELTOWN ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255632 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2019 at 16:07:07.


Statutory Address: 98, CHAPELTOWN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30839 35282


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE33NW CHAPELTOWN ROAD 714-1/7/93 (East side) 22/11/91 No.98


House with steps to front, now dance studios. c1835. Red brick in Flemish bond, finely coursed, stone bands and front steps. Shallow pitch hipped slate roof, most missing, end stacks reduced in height. 2 storeys and cellars, 3 bays; restored 6-panel door. Plate-glass sashes. Short flight of steps with moulded risers and low flanking wall to central entrance with portico of Tuscan columns supporting entablature, cornice and blocking course. Rubbed brick flat arches and stone continuous sill band to windows; deep bracketed eaves. Rear: glazing bars to upper-floor windows. Left return: a small wrought-iron balcony 1st floor, centre. Right return: 2 blocked ground-floor openings, right. INTERIOR: not inspected, but internal walls removed when converted to studios. HISTORICAL NOTE: the house stands in the SW corner of the 'Leeds New Town' development of the Squire's Pasture estate which the 5th Earl Cowper sold to a partnership for ยป29,860 in 1825. The development was intended to provide large houses out of the smoke-laden atmosphere of the city centre, but in 1828 the Earl had to repurchase the land following the partnership's bankruptcy and building was slow, this house being one of few built by 1847 (Nos 50, 52 & 54 Spencer Place, qv). It was later used as the communal offices of the United Hebrew Congregation. Now studios of the Northern School of Contemporary Dance. (A History of Modern Leeds: Beresford, M: The Face of Leeds, 1780-1914: 1980-: 99).

Listing NGR: SE3082835317


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465807

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
The Face of Leeds 1780-1914, (1980), 99
Beresford, M , A History of Modern Leeds

End of official listing