MEMORIAL TO QUEEN VICTORIA

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1255642

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: MEMORIAL TO QUEEN VICTORIA, WOODHOUSE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MEMORIAL TO QUEEN VICTORIA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255642 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 19:34:54.

Location

Statutory Address: MEMORIAL TO QUEEN VICTORIA, WOODHOUSE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SE2920935069

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2935 WOODHOUSE LANE, Woodhouse Moor 714-1/24/1281 (South West side) 05/08/76 Memorial to Queen Victoria (Formerly Listed as: HYDE PARK, Woodhouse Moor Memorial to Queen Victoria on east side of Woodhouse Moor)

GV II*

Memorial. 1903. By George Frampton RA. Portland stone base and pedestal with bronze figures and frieze. Base of 4 stone steps. The plinth has mouldings on front and rear, a continuous frieze has the words 'INDIA', 'AUSTRALIA', 'CANADA' and 'AFRICA' on scrolled plaques flanked by owls and symbolic foliage. The tall plinth has the royal arms carved in deep relief to front and the words 'RAISED/ BY/ VOLUNTARY SUBSCRIPTION/ OF /CITIZENS/ OF/ LEEDS/ IN THE YEAR/ 1901' on the rear. The sides of the plinth have niches with seated statue of 'PEACE' (left) and 'INDUSTRY' (right). The statue of Queen Victoria is enthroned, in coronation robes; the back of the throne has a radiant sun. On the plinth below the statue the words 'GEO FRAMPTON RA 1903'. The statue originally stood in Victoria Square, outside the Town Hall. It was unveiled on 27 November 1905 and was moved in 1937. (Payne B & Payne D: Old Leeds in Photographs: 26).

Listing NGR: SE2920935069

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465817

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Payne, B, Payne, D, Old Leeds in Photographs26

End of official listing