LEEDS METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255652

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: LEEDS METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY, WOODHOUSE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LEEDS METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255652 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 01:47:43.

Location

Statutory Address: LEEDS METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY, WOODHOUSE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30015 34030

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE3034 714-1/29/441 05/08/76

LEEDS WOODHOUSE LANE (South West side) Leeds Metropolitan University

(Formerly Listed as: Leeds Polytechnic (Accounting and Applied Economics Building))

GV II

Methodist New Connexion chapel, now part of Leeds Metropolitan University. 1857-58, altered mid C20. By William Hill. Red brick with stone dressings, slate roof. 2 storeys over basement, 5 x 7 bays. Classical style. Corinthian pilastered doorways with heavy entablatures and semicircular fanlights (that to right blocked) flank 3 round-headed windows. First floor: original central window is round-headed, with carved impost blocks and keystone; flanking tall metal-framed windows. Rusticated pilasters to corners, bracketed cornice, full-width pediment with round light and relief foliage in tympanum, stepped stone ?chimneys at each end of roof apex. Left return: original and altered fenestration as front. INTERIOR: not inspected. The chapel cost £6,000 to build and contained an organ and memorial window to Mr Alderman Marsden; school rooms and an institute were in the basement. (Kelly's Directory of Leeds: 1913-: XXVIII).



Listing NGR: SE3001534030

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465781

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory of Leeds, (1913), XXVIII

End of official listing