14-34, CENTRAL ROAD, 119, 120 AND 121, KIRKGATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255653
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
119, 120 AND 121, KIRKGATE
Statutory Address:
14-34, CENTRAL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of 14-34, CENTRAL ROAD, 119, 120 AND 121, KIRKGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255653 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 22:25:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
119, 120 AND 121, KIRKGATE
Statutory Address:
14-34, CENTRAL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30332 33481

Details

LEEDS

SE3033SW CENTRAL ROAD 714-1/78/90 (East side) Nos.14-34 (Consecutive)

II

Includes: Nos.119, 120 AND 121 KIRKGATE. Shops, workshops and offices. c1900. Red brick, tile roof. 3 storeys with attic gables and dormers, 12 bays to Central Road, 3 to Kirkgate (left return, Nos 119-121) and 3 with access to rear on right return (Central Road). In Queen Anne Revival style. Ground floor: original shop facade with giant tile-faced pilasters and brackets surmounted by obelisks between 1st-floor windows, sign boards replaced. 1st floor: west side has five 3-window bays, 6 multi-pane segmental-arched windows, one 3-window bay; 2nd floor similar. Attic storey: small-paned gable windows and pedimented dormers. Shop divisions carried up as brick pilasters to ramped parapet and ball finial; brick band at 2nd-floor level. Left return: 3-, 3- and 2-window bays, 2 gables left and dormer window with triangular pediment right. Right return: eight 1st-floor windows, round-arched access to rear has fine wrought-iron gates. INTERIOR: not inspected. The block was built by 1910 on part of the area occupied by the 1824 Central Market (corner Duncan Street and New Market Street) which was cleared after 1886. (Ordnance Survey Map of Leeds: 1910-; Insurance Map of Leeds: 1886-).

Listing NGR: SE3033233481

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465782
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].