This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD BEAR PIT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD BEAR PIT

List entry Number: 1255678

Location

THE OLD BEAR PIT, CARDIGAN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465760

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2835NW CARDIGAN ROAD, Headingley 714-1/64/725 (East side) 05/08/76 The Old Bear Pit

II

Bear pit in the Leeds Zoological and Botanical Gardens. Mid C19, restored mid C20. Rock-faced rusticated masonry. 2 circular castellated turrets with round-arched entrance in left and right returns, linked by a wall with Venetian-type gateway, voussoirs to central round arch. On the E side the circular bear pit is brick-lined and is linked to the turret wall by 2 tunnels; on the W side a paved area and low retaining wall, curved at ends. The Gardens were opened in 1840, the designers were William Billington, a Wakefield engineer, and Edward Davies, a landscape gardener. The bears were viewed from the top of the turrets. After several changes of ownership the Gardens were divided into building plots and sold off from 1869. The structure was measured and recorded in 1987. (Thoresby Society Miscellany: Trowell, F: Speculative Housing Development in the Suburb of Headingley: 54; Douglas, J (Victorian Society) pers. comm.; West Yorkshire Archaeology Unit: Measured drawing (plan, elevation, section), ref. WYAS.87.ACS: 1987-).





Listing NGR: SE2803735517

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Trowell, F , Speculative Housing Development in the Suburb of Headingley54
'Thoresby Society Miscellany' in Thoresby Society Miscellany, ()

National Grid Reference: SE 28037 35517

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255678 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 03:02:54.

End of official listing