CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1255680
Date first listed:
23-Sep-1963
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Sep-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, WOOD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255680 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 05:27:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, WOOD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30302 37373

Details



714-1/54/604 WOOD LANE 23-SEP-63 CHAPEL ALLERTON (West side) Church of St Matthew

GV II*



Anglican church. 1897-98. By G F Bodley. Bath stone and Ancaster stone ashlar, tile roof. Built by Stephens and Baslow of Bristol. Glass by Burlison and Grylls. PLAN: nave of 6 bays, chancel and aisles under one roof without clerestory, large detached tower on S of S aisle connected by passage and serving as porch. Gothic Revival style. EXTERIOR: traceried windows, narrow buttresses and crenellated tower with central staircase turret and belfry stage with clock, shields in relief and gargoyles. INTERIOR: C14-style ribbed quatrefoil columns and chamfered arches; the 3-light windows are set in recesses with quatrefoils and cusped panels below; nave ceiling is tunnel-vaulted in wood, in the aisles timber trusses on alternate stone corbels and wooden brackets, painted with badges and chevrons. The floor is stone-flagged with wood to pew area. Organ loft at mezzanine level at east end of north aisle. A fine carved screen with organ gallery separates nave and chancel. The chancel ceiling is ribbed and panelled, painted blue with 'IHS'. Sanctuary floor black and white marble, the walls panelled, the reredos of carved and gilded wood has figures of Christ in Glory, the Annunciation and saints all under traceried canopies. The choir and clergy vestries lie north of the chancel. To the south the Lady Chapel sanctuary has a white marble floor and fine triptych reredos with central figure of Christ flanked by painted figures of female saints: Mary Bethany, Monica, Martha, Agnes. Chapel floor stone with wood in seating areas. Plain panelling with linenfold and quatrefoil details to pews, choir stalls, pulpit. Plaques in choir and chancel commemorate John Primalt Maud, perpetual curate of Chapel Allerton 1890-1904, the period of building, and the laying of the foundation stone 18.10.1897 and consecration 03.02.1900. At the W end the font is C17, a gritstone cylindrical shaft with scroll decoration in relief, octagonal bowl with raised lettering: 'THER:IS/ONE.LORD/ONE:FA/ITH.ONE/ BAPTI/SME'EPH/ ESIANS/ X.5.1637 '; the letters 'H' are turned through 90 degrees. This church was built on a new site to replace the much smaller church in the Old Graveyard. It demonstrates the architect's principal that the history of architectural art was one of refinement, a true artistic feeling denoting restrained power. (Linstrum 1978). Linstrum, D: West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture: London: 1978-: 232; Building News, Vol 76: 1899-: 6; Building News, Vol 80: 1901-: 661, 676-677).

Listing NGR: SE3030237373

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465762
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978), 232
'Building News' in Building News, (1901), 661, 676-7
'Building News' in Building News, (1899), 6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/11931/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Krystyna Szulecka. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].