WATERLOO HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255692

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Statutory Address: WATERLOO HOUSE, 58, WELLINGTON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WATERLOO HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255692 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 14:45:10.

Location

Statutory Address: WATERLOO HOUSE, 58, WELLINGTON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29633 33447

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2933SE WELLINGTON STREET 714-1/77/433 (North side) 05/08/76 No.58 Waterloo House

GV II

Warehouse, now offices. 1868, restored c1977. By Edward Birchall. For Walter Stead. Ashlar, polychrome brick, stone dressings, slate roof with late C20 dormers. Gothic Revival style. 4 storeys over basement, 7 bays. Entrance bay 6 with porch of polished pink granite columns with carved capitals supporting stone roof. Ground floor: ashlar, moulded depressed arch windows with pilaster shafts and carved capitals. 1st and 2nd floors: windows in pointed-arch arcade with brick pilasters and moulded capitals. 3rd floor: narrow windows in an arcade of 21 round arches. Heavy stone modillion cornice with cast-iron cresting and octagonal brick finials with stone caps. INTERIOR: gutted by fire c1977, rebuilt. Walter Stead was a cloth manufacturer at No.60 Wellington Street in 1870, next door to his warehouse; by 1886 the building was the woollen warehouse of Joshua Wilson and Sons. (Linstrum, D: West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture: 1978-: 304; Directories of Leeds, 1870 and 1886).



Listing NGR: SE2963333447

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465727

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Directory of Leeds, (1870)
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978), 304

End of official listing