FORMER CANAL COMPANY OFFICE, LOCK KEEPERS HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255693
Date first listed:
05-Aug-1976
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
FORMER CANAL COMPANY OFFICE, LOCK KEEPERS HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS, 18, CANAL WHARF

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER CANAL COMPANY OFFICE, LOCK KEEPERS HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255693 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 12:18:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER CANAL COMPANY OFFICE, LOCK KEEPERS HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS, 18, CANAL WHARF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 29661 33046

Details

LEEDS

SE2933SE CANAL WHARF 714-1/77/80 (West side) 05/08/76 No.18 Former Canal Company office, lock-keeper's house and attached wall and railings (Formerly Listed as: CANAL WHARF No.18 Canal Office)

GV II

Canal company office with forecourt steps, wall and railings, and lock-keeper's house to rear. 1816 for the Leeds and Liverpool Canal Company, the house added after 1847. Office: ashlar, low-pitched hipped slate roof with central corniced ridge stack extended in brick. One storey over basement, central wide panelled door in plain surround with deep cornice hood and carved lettering: 'CANAL OFFICE'. Flanking segmental-arched recesses with tripartite sashes with glazing bars and margin-lights. Corner pilasters, deep eaves cornice, blocking course. Right return: straight flight of steps to Basin Lock (qv). House to rear: red brick, hipped slate roof, central stack, 4-pane sashes. INTERIOR: not seen but reputed to contain original panelled board room to left. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: 3 steps project forward of line of railings; wall: 2 courses of rusticated masonry, stepped copings with railings flanking entrance; acorn finials to rails and standards; pedestrian gate far left with dog bars. HISTORICAL NOTE: probably built after the completion of the canal in 1816; not shown on the 1815 map and although the canal from Leeds to Gargrave was completed 1770-77 there was a long delay in the completion through to Liverpool due to a lack of funds. (Fraser D: A History of Modern Leeds: 1980-: 124).



Listing NGR: SE2966133046

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465728
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Fraser, D, A History of Modern Leeds, (1980), 124

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08410/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Karran. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].