This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CONCOURSE HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CONCOURSE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1255694

Location

CONCOURSE HOUSE, 78, WELLINGTON STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465729

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2933 WELLINGTON STREET 714-1/35/434 (North side) 05/08/76 No.78 Concourse House

GV II

Warehouse, now offices, and basement railings. Dated 1903, converted late C20. By George Corson and W Evan Jones with Perkin and Bulmer, associate architects. For Crowe and Co., wholesale warehousemen. Pink terracotta and red brick, probably steel-framed, roof not visible, wrought-iron railings. 4 storeys over basement, 9 bays. Central projecting doorway with segmental pediment and moulded plaques with date and 'C & Co' in tympanum. Flat-arched basement windows, moulded elliptical arches to ground floor, moulded sill band and cornice above. 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors have recessed canted bays in moulded surrounds all in terracotta with keyblocks, ornate terracotta relief friezes between storeys. Plain parapet, shaped over outer 2 bays, central panel with fixings probably for name plaque. Left return: 5 bays, the left bays single and of 2 storeys, the roof line ramped up to full height to centre and right bays. INTERIOR: not inspected. One of the latest buildings with which George Corson was associated; he died in 1910. The firm of Crowe and Company were wholesale drapery, haberdashery and boot manufacturers and warehousemen by 1907. (Butler Wilson, T: Two Leeds Architects: Brodrick and Corson: 1937-: 76; Directory of Leeds: 1907-).



Listing NGR: SE2947033482

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Butler Wilson, T , Two Architects Cuthbert Brodrick and George Corson, (1937), 76

National Grid Reference: SE 29470 33482

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255694 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 06:52:43.

End of official listing