RIVER LOCK AND RETAINING WALLS TO RIVER AIRE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1255707

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1992

Statutory Address: RIVER LOCK AND RETAINING WALLS TO RIVER AIRE, CANAL WHARF

Map

Ordnance survey map of RIVER LOCK AND RETAINING WALLS TO RIVER AIRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255707 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 02:16:28.

Location

Statutory Address: RIVER LOCK AND RETAINING WALLS TO RIVER AIRE, CANAL WHARF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29846 33044

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2933SE CANAL WHARF 714-1/77/87 (North side (off)) 07/12/92 River Lock and retaining walls to River Aire

GV II*

Lock and retaining walls. 1770-1776. For the Leeds and Liverpool Canal Company. Wooden gates with cast-iron fittings; coursed squared massive gritstone blocks to walls. 2 pairs of gates, the top pair fitted with probably original paddles ('jack' cloughs). The walling extends beyond the lower gates and under a footbridge with stone steps and replaced handrails to form the retaining walls on the River Aire, approximate length 15m. This was Lock No.1 on the canal and is one of only 5 sets of locks to retain original 'jack' cloughs at the Yorkshire end of the canal. HISTORICAL NOTE: at the opening of the 33-mile stretch of the canal from Leeds to Holmbridge, near Gargrave, in 1777 an opening ceremony was held here before a crowd of 20,000-30,000 people and a procession of boats passed through the lock. (Burt S & Grady K: The Merchants' Golden Age, Leeds 1700-1790: 1987-: 16).



Listing NGR: SE2984633044

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465742

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Burt, , Grady, , The Merchants Golden Age Leeds 1700-1790, (1987), 16

End of official listing