RETAINING WALLS TO CANAL FROM LOCK NUMBER 1 TO BRIDGE 226 INCLUDING 2 GRAVING DOCKS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255711
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1992
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
RETAINING WALLS TO CANAL FROM LOCK NUMBER 1 TO BRIDGE 226 INCLUDING 2 GRAVING DOCKS, CANAL WHARF

Map

Ordnance survey map of RETAINING WALLS TO CANAL FROM LOCK NUMBER 1 TO BRIDGE 226 INCLUDING 2 GRAVING DOCKS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255711 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 01:38:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
RETAINING WALLS TO CANAL FROM LOCK NUMBER 1 TO BRIDGE 226 INCLUDING 2 GRAVING DOCKS, CANAL WHARF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 29809 33062

Details

LEEDS

SE2933SE CANAL WHARF 714-1/77/86 (North side (off)) 07/12/92 Retaining walls to canal from Lock No.1 to Bridge 226, incl 2 graving docks (Formerly Listed as: CANAL WHARF Retaining walls to Leeds and Liverpool Canal from Lock No.1 to Bridge 226)

GV II

Retaining walls and docks to canal. Late C18 and C19. Section of Leeds and Liverpool Canal 1770-1777, western graving dock built by 1815 (Giles map), Leeds and Liverpool Dock built by 1831 (Fowler map) and probably c1816, northern end blocked c1989; eastern graving dock later C19. By Robert Owen, engineer. For the Leeds and Liverpool Canal Company. Coursed squared gritstone blocks, remains of lock gates to western graving dock. Retaining walls to canal extend from River Lock (Lock No.1) to Bridge 226, including remains of Leeds and Liverpool Dock, 2 graving docks and portion within the Leeds and Liverpool Canal Company Warehouse. Canal section approx 100m long, Leeds and Liverpool Dock projects to north, now approx 20m but formerly longer and extended to link up with River Aire c1868; the 2 graving (repair) docks to east end of north side of canal have stepped sides, the west one waterlogged at time of review, the east dock empty and paddle and sluice visible for drainage at north end, together with cradles to support boats in dry dock. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Leeds and Liverpool Canal was built during the period 1770 to 1816 and was described by a contemporary as 'one of the boldest and most magnificent projects hitherto attempted in Great Britain'. It had a tremendous impact on the transportation of goods from Lancashire, Liverpool and America which included not only textiles but stone for building, limestone for burning into manure and coal; all contributing to the rise of Leeds as an industrial centre. Further historical information: see Former Leeds and Liverpool Canal Company Warehouse, crane on east side Canal Basin and River Lock (qqv). (Burt S & Grady K: The Merchants' Golden Age, Leeds 1700-1790: 1987-).

Listing NGR: SE2980933062

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465746
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Burt, , Grady, , The Merchants Golden Age Leeds 1700-1790, (1987)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08410/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Karran. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]icEngland.org.uk.