This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SLUICE GATES AND RETAINING WALLS ON HEAD RACE AT ARMLEY MILLS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SLUICE GATES AND RETAINING WALLS ON HEAD RACE AT ARMLEY MILLS

List entry Number: 1255718

Location

SLUICE GATES AND RETAINING WALLS ON HEAD RACE AT ARMLEY MILLS, CANAL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465707

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2734 CANAL ROAD 714-1/28/920 (West side (off)) 19/10/51 Sluice gates and retaining walls on head race at Armley Mills (Formerly Listed as: CANAL ROAD, Armley Armley Mill, incl mill houses to SE, chimney to E. and sluices and bridge W)

GV II

Sluice gates and retaining walls to west. 1788 for Thomas Lloyd or c1805 for Benjamin Gott, probably altered mid C19. Ashlar and wrought- and cast-iron. Solid wall surmounted by walkway giving access to 4 sluices; low rail with column supports, retaining wall on north side of ashlar, approx 30m long and links to the weir (qv); on south side the walling approx 20m long and of several phases of stonework. In 1788 Thomas Lloyd's programme of rebuilding at Armley included recutting the narrow mill race, the engineer was John Sutcliffe of Halifax. The earlier fulling mill stood on this site and the south side stonework might include some remains. Benjamin Gott's new mill in 1805 might have required further alterations to provide sufficient flow of water for the new water wheels.



Listing NGR: SE2746534148

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 27465 34148

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255718 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 09:51:51.

End of official listing