THE ROUND HOUSE (LEEDS COMMERCIAL VAN AND TRUCK RENTAL PREMISES)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1255725

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1986

Statutory Address: THE ROUND HOUSE (LEEDS COMMERCIAL VAN AND TRUCK RENTAL PREMISES), WELLINGTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ROUND HOUSE (LEEDS COMMERCIAL VAN AND TRUCK RENTAL PREMISES)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255725 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 13:50:14.

Location

Statutory Address: THE ROUND HOUSE (LEEDS COMMERCIAL VAN AND TRUCK RENTAL PREMISES), WELLINGTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 28788 33213

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2833 WELLINGTON ROAD 714-1/34/424 (East side) 19/06/86 The Roundhouse (Leeds Commercial Van and Truck Rental premises)

GV II*

Engine house, now garage. Completed 1847, altered C20. Exterior restored 1990-94. By Thomas Grainger (line engineer) and John Bourne (resident engineer) for the Leeds and Thirsk Railway Company. Red bricks of semi-shale type pressed to give a smooth finish and fired in a coal clamp; stone dressings generally of Bramley Fall or Horsforth type, slate roof. Single-storey polygon, annular plan. Plinth; pilasters defining bays rise into deep moulded cornice with blocking course. Main entrance, in east side, has tall elliptical-arched doorway with incised, radiating voussoirs and blocking course pedimented above cornice. Each bay has paired round-headed windows in recessed reveals with rubbed brick arches; some early glazing survives but with alterations and inserted doorways. Skylights in roof which slopes up to ridge louvre, the centre of the polygon originally open-roofed. INTERIOR: brick arcade around centre formerly enclosed turntable (open to roof) and has arches (originally with wooden doors) through which the locomotives would have passed from the turntable onto the stabling road and with a pit. Roof trusses, supported by arcade and by cast-iron corbels at outer ends, have iron queen bolts and long diagonal braces (tension members of cast-iron, compression members of timber). Roof underdrawn with boards in places. The engine house was designed to accommodate up to 20 locomotives; it went out of use when this site was superseded by a depot at Neville Hill in 1898. (Fitzgerald, R: Leeds Dept of Planning Report: 1985-: 2; Leeds City Council Department of Planning: Director's Report, EDG/RMM Q202/2, 24 March 1986).

Listing NGR: SE2878833213

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465714

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Fitzgerald, R, 'Report to Leeds City Council' in Railway Complex Wellington Street, (1985)

End of official listing