This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBER 19 AND ATTACHED BUILDINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBER 19 AND ATTACHED BUILDINGS

List entry Number: 1255729

Location

NUMBER 19 AND ATTACHED BUILDINGS, 19, WELLINGTON STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465718

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2933SE WELLINGTON STREET 714-1/77/426 (South side) 05/08/76 No.19 and attached buildings

GV II

Woollen warehouse, now offices. Dated 1859, converted C20. Probably by George Corson. For John Sykes. Red and polychrome brick, stone dressings, slate roof, cast-iron railings. 4 storeys over basement, 7 bays. Central stone doorway with Mooorish arch supported on columns with carved capitals and circular fanlight in stone frame with carved date and initials, 'I S'; arcaded ground floor with carved capitals and arched window heads. Heavy cornice over ground floor projects over doorway and is carved. 1st and 2nd floors: segmental arch windows with stone architraves with keyblocks and moulded sills on brackets. 3rd floor: 2-light round arch windows in Gothic arcade with continuous moulded sill. Rusticated basement storey with balustrade and gates of circular panels, standards with vase finials. Deep moulded modillion eaves cornice, truncated ridge stack left. INTERIOR: not inspected. The premises of J Sykes and Son, merchant in 1861; the business was Hudson, Sykes and Bousfield, woollen manufacturers and merchants by 1870. George Corson was responsible for the plans of many of the warehouses between Aire Street and King Street built as merchants required premises close to the railways and the Cloth Halls went out of use. (Butler Wilson, T: Two Leeds Architects: Brodrick and Corson: 1937-: 48).



Listing NGR: SE2970733403

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Butler Wilson, T , Two Architects Cuthbert Brodrick and George Corson, (1937), 48

National Grid Reference: SE 29707 33403

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255729 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 06:38:15.

End of official listing