GATE PIERS, GATES, FLANKING WALL AND BOLLARDS TO NUMBER 89

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255744
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
GATE PIERS, GATES, FLANKING WALL AND BOLLARDS TO NUMBER 89, WEETWOOD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATE PIERS, GATES, FLANKING WALL AND BOLLARDS TO NUMBER 89
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255744.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 18:53:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
GATE PIERS, GATES, FLANKING WALL AND BOLLARDS TO NUMBER 89, WEETWOOD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 27507 37690

Details

LEEDS

SE23NE WEETWOOD LANE, Weetwood 714-1/6/1223 (West side) Gate piers, gates, flanking wall, and bollards to No.89

GV II

Gate piers, gates, flanking walls and bollards. Dated 1902. For Joseph Pickering. Wrought-iron gates, walling of ashlar and coursed gritstone, stone bollards, chains missing. Gates: 2 leaves, bars and dog bars, elaborate wrought-iron scrolled panel to centre of each gate, scrolled frames and crest with date. Gate piers: rusticated ashlar, plinth, squat bulbous corner shafts, entablature and deep moulded cornice similar to that on the adjacent lodge, No.89, bay window (qv); flat capstones with remains of wrought-iron lamp supports. Walling: to north a low ashlar wall with moulded coping, approx 10m long, curved to meet rusticated pier; to south the wall is approx 2.5m high and 10m long, of coursed gritstone and probably the remains of the earlier estate boundary, with roll-moulded coping ramped down at left end; a gateway with plain ashlar surround and board door with decorative cast-iron panel above in this stretch. Bollards: approx 0.7m high, 6 to left and 4 to right of gates, conical with flattened ball finials. Built as the entrance gates to Brandon Hill, now St Urban's School. Included for group value.



Listing NGR: SE2750737690

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465687
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].