This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BRIDGE OVER HEAD RACE AT ARMLEY MILLS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRIDGE OVER HEAD RACE AT ARMLEY MILLS

List entry Number: 1255752

Location

BRIDGE OVER HEAD RACE AT ARMLEY MILLS, CANAL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465695

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2734 CANAL ROAD 714-1/28/921 (West side (off)) 19/10/51 Bridge over head race at Armley Mills (Formerly Listed as: CANAL ROAD, Armley Armley Mills incl mill houses to SE, chimney to E, and sluices and bridge W)

GV II

Bridge and retaining walls to head race on west side. Probably c1850 for John and William Gott. Coursed stone, ashlar, cast-iron railings. Single shallow segmental arch, rusticated voussoirs, band at road level, stone square section bollards with bands and shallow pyramidal caps; parapet rails of vase and flower form with thickened central standard. Retaining walls to mill race link to sluice gates (qv) and north wall has remains of railings as parapet on north side. The stonework of the north side of the head race here shows several alterations and might be the remains of the fulling mill of c1750 demolished when Thomas Lloyd built the new mills and widened the millrace in 1788.



Listing NGR: SE2747834147

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 27478 34147

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255752 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 07:46:36.

End of official listing