76-88, VICAR LANE, 2-8, EASTGATE, 11 AND 13, HAREWOOD STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255762

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1996

Statutory Address: 11 AND 13, HAREWOOD STREET

Statutory Address: 2-8, EASTGATE

Statutory Address: 76-88, VICAR LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 76-88, VICAR LANE, 2-8, EASTGATE, 11 AND 13, HAREWOOD STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255762 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 11:11:50.

Location

Statutory Address: 11 AND 13, HAREWOOD STREET

Statutory Address: 2-8, EASTGATE

Statutory Address: 76-88, VICAR LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30432 33688

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033NW VICAR LANE 714-1/76/411 (East side) 17/06/96 Nos.76-88 (Even)

GV II

Formerly known as: County Houses VICAR LANE. Includes: Nos.11 AND 13 HAREWOOD STREET. Includes: Nos.2-8 EASTGATE. Shops, workshops and hotel. Early C20, altered late C20. Brick, banded terracotta, grey slate roof with 3 tall moulded brick stacks forward of ridge to left of centre and far left on left return. 3 storeys and attics, 6 bays, canted bay to corner (Eastgate) and 2 bays on left return. Ground floor: late C20 shop fronts; 1st floor: large segmental-arched windows, 3 round-headed windows to corner, grey terracotta voussoirs. 2nd floor: 1-, 2, and 3-window grouping, sashes arranged 2:3:3:1:3:3:3 with terracotta above transom level, moulded lintels, cornice, parapet. Attic storey: paired windows in pedimented gables with moulded plaques in the tympanum, ramped parapet between, 2 dormer windows; corner turret with sashes as 2nd floor; eaves brackets, domed lead roof. Left return, (Eastgate): 2 full-height bays with gable and dormer window and a lower, 3-storey block to left in banded brick and terracotta, narrow upper-floor windows. Rear, (Harewood Street): to left of rear yard access a 3-window facade as front, to right a symmetrical gabled facade with terracotta plaques including a female mask in Art Nouveau style, kneelers and gable coping. INTERIOR: not inspected. The 1910 directory indicates the following users of the building: H Gilchrist, house furnisher; Nos 78 & 80 Gardam Bros., clothiers; No.82: County Hotel, Leeds; No.88: Thornton and Hodgson, tailors. (Kelly's Directory of Leeds: 1910-).



Listing NGR: SE3044933692

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465659

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directories of Leeds, (1910)

End of official listing