97, WATER LANE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255778

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1987

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: 97, WATER LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 97, WATER LANE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255778 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2018 at 17:38:33.

Location

Statutory Address: 97, WATER LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29658 32910

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2932NE WATER LANE, Holbeck 714-1/80/856 (South side) 25/08/87 No.97 (Formerly Listed as: WATER LANE (South side) No.97 Former foundry workshop at junction with David Street)

GV II

Foundry workshop, now offices. c1857-77. Restored and converted 1989. Red/brown brick in English 5:1 bond, Welsh slate roof. One tall storey, 7 bays. Street frontage of multi-pane round-arched windows with curved-edged brick surrounds and stone sills. At eaves, nail-head and chamfered brick decorative bands. Roof lights. Left return: ends of regularly-set tie bar plates on 5 levels, inserted round-arched entrance. Rear rebuilt C20. An iron plaque in polished stone surround between bays 4 and 5 was erected in 1929 and records the achievements of Matthew Murray at the Round Foundry, Foundry Street (qv). INTERIOR: not inspected. When Murray's business closed in 1843 the works were taken over and expanded by Smith, Beacock and Tannett, Machine Tool Manufacturers, and renamed the Victoria Foundry. This building is similar in character to the earlier Murray foundry at No.103 Water Lane, (qv) and was built on the site of the entrance gate on Camp Fields; it was originally entered from the greensand foundry, No.99 Water Lane (qv). The building continued in use as a foundry until 1895. (Redman RN: The Railway Foundry, Leeds, 1839-1969: Norwich: 1972-; Brierley, W: Map of the Town of Leeds and its Vicinity: 1866-).



Listing NGR: SE2965832910

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465675

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Redman, R, The Railway Foundry Leeds 1839-1969, (1972)
Other
Title: Map of the Town of Leeds and its Vicinity Source Date: 1866 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

End of official listing