FORD HOUSE (LEEDS GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255797
Date first listed:
04-Jul-1996
Statutory Address:
FORD HOUSE (LEEDS GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL), BUCKINGHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORD HOUSE (LEEDS GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255797.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 20:45:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORD HOUSE (LEEDS GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL), BUCKINGHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 28462 35637

Details

LEEDS

SE2835NW BUCKINGHAM ROAD, Headingley 714-1/64/723 (East side) 04/07/96 Ford House (Leeds Girls' High School)

GV II

Formerly known as: Buckingham Villas BUCKINGHAM ROAD Headingley. Pair of semi-detached houses, now school, with terrace steps. Late C19, altered C20. For Mrs C and Mr J Kirk. Coursed squared rock-faced gritstone, ashlar details, blue slate gabled roof with fishscale slates to turrets. Gothic Revival style. A mirror pair, 2 storeys with basement and attics, 8 bays with entrances bays 2 and 7. The projecting entrance bays have half-glazed double doors with cusped traceried fanlight in a round arch with attached columns; these bays rise as square turrets with ornate terracotta plaques between the 1st-floor and attic windows with the letters 'CK' and 'JK'; brick corbel and eaves bands and pyramid roof surmounted by a wrought-iron finial. Plate-glass sashes, some altered to top-hinged casements; square bay windows with pierced quatrefoil balustrades to ground-floor bays 1, 4, 5 and 8, the central pair probably lacking the cusped heads which remain in ground and 1st-floor windows. Bays 1, 4, 5 and 8 have gabled attic windows and wrought-iron finials. Continuous moulded first-floor band. Tall corniced stacks forward of ridge, between bays 3 and 4, and 5 and 6. Left and right returns: elaborate 3-light stair windows with quatrefoil tracery and stained glass. INTERIOR: alterations to accommodate the school have included the removal of walls and the partitioning of larger rooms but the original plan of principal south-facing rooms separated from the rear service rooms by a long corridor can be traced. Also of note are: the elaborate wooden Gothic-style staircases with pierced balustrade and brass handrail; the tiled floor in the stair hall, blue brown and white, possibly Minton; doors with 4 chamfered panels; ceiling cornices in the principal rooms, ground and 1st floors, the entrance hall having a deeply-moulded bracketed cornice; several rooms have ceiling roses. To rear, centre, a projecting single-storey bay is a top-lit ?billiard room with elaborate timber roof. Terrace steps: the entrances are flanked by low stone walls with chamfered copings; the steps continue beyond the footpath and have elaborate balustrades with quatrefoil piercings and terminals with stepped pyramid capstones.

Built as Buckingham Villas, the 1886 Directory reveals that the occupants were Mrs C Kirk and Mr John Kirk, a stover and dyer. (Kelly's Directory of Leeds: 1886-).



Listing NGR: SE2846235637

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465648
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Leeds, (1886)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/13168/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pennie Keech. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].