WRAYS BUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255801

Date first listed: 09-Nov-1993

Statutory Address: 5 AND 7, HAREWOOD STREET

Statutory Address: 6 AND 8, SIDNEY STREET

Statutory Address: WRAYS BUILDINGS, 64 AND 66, VICAR LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WRAYS BUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255801 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 05:20:21.

Location

Statutory Address: 5 AND 7, HAREWOOD STREET

Statutory Address: 6 AND 8, SIDNEY STREET

Statutory Address: WRAYS BUILDINGS, 64 AND 66, VICAR LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30425 33630

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033NW VICAR LANE 714-1/76/409 (East side) 09/11/93 Nos.64 AND 66 Wray's Buildings

GV II

Includes: Nos.5 AND 7 HAREWOOD STREET. Includes: Nos.6 AND 8 SIDNEY STREET. Shops and chambers, now bank and shops. c1900, altered C20. Brick, terracotta details, grey slate roof with 4 massive multi-flue moulded brick stacks. 3 storeys and attics, 2 bays, corner site with 7 bays to Sidney Street, left return. Jacobean style. Ground floor: late C20 bank and shop facades follow original bay divisions; 1st floor: slightly projecting bay windows of 3 lights, moulded surrounds and bracketed sills; similar rectangular windows to 2nd floor surmounted by a band with moulded terracotta panels; 3-light transom and mullion windows and cyma-moulded gables to 3rd storey. Moulded plaque on corner, 1st floor. Left return: ground-floor centre has 2 original paired round-headed windows in moulded arch with circular panel and the entrance to Wray's Buildings to left in same style: a panel in the tympanum has the building's name flanked by figures with flowers in relief. Upper floors: the 3 right bays similar to main facade; the bays to left have an extra floor within the same building height and the 1st-floor windows are a showroom/workroom type, almost full-height and flat arched; decorative detail to gabled bay left as main front. Rear: the Harewood Street facade has 3 windows, fenestration as Sidney Street return, stack rises above blank 4th-storey wall. INTERIOR: not inspected. In 1910 the building was occupied by a butcher (No.64) and Robert Wray Ltd., confectioner (No.66). (Kelly's Directory of Leeds, 1910).



Listing NGR: SE3042533630

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465652

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directories of Leeds, (1910)

End of official listing