THE METHODIST CENTRE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255812

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: THE METHODIST CENTRE, TOWN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE METHODIST CENTRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255812 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 06:35:06.

Location

Statutory Address: THE METHODIST CENTRE, TOWN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30609 37074

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3037SE TOWN STREET, Chapel Allerton 714-1/55/603 (North East side) 05/08/76 The Methodist Centre (Formerly Listed as: TOWN STREET, Chapel Allerton Methodist Youth and Community Centre)

GV II

Wesleyan Sunday school, now community centre. 1794, converted to school 1878, and altered C20. Ashlar, slate hipped roof. 2 storeys, 3 x 7 round-arched windows. Gable entrance with panelled double doors with fanlight in shallow porch with attached Tuscan columns supporting moulded triangular pediment; flanking 4-pane sashes with stone apron below; taller 8-pane sashes above. Moulded stone eaves cornice, the triangular pediment over the slightly-projecting 3-window central part has a circular stone plaque with raised lettering: 'WESLEYAN/ SUNDAY SCHOOL/ 1878'. Returns: sashes with glazing bars to ground floor, 8-pane above. INTERIOR: not inspected. The original Wesleyan chapel was built in 1794 on this site; a new church was built in 1874 on Harrogate Road (demolished). (Faulkner, R: Chapel Allerton, from Village to Suburb: Leeds: 23).





Listing NGR: SE3060937074

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465617

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Faulkner, R , Chapel Allerton From Village to Suburb23

End of official listing