This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

134, 136 AND 138, TOWN STREET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 134, 136 AND 138, TOWN STREET

List entry Number: 1255818

Location

134, 136 AND 138, TOWN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465623

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2236 TOWN STREET, Rodley 714-1/16/1043 (North side) 05/08/76 Nos.134, 136 AND 138 (Formerly Listed as: TOWN STREET, Rodley Nos.130-138 (Even))

GV II

Row of cottages with workshops, now shop and house. Late C18, altered C19 and C20. Coursed squared gritstone and coursed rubble, stone slate roof. 3 cottages of 2 storeys and 1 bay each to front; 4 storeys and attic to rear. Nos 136 & 138, left, are of coursed rubble; a mirror pair with central panelled doors in plain stone surround, large square shop window to each side, 2-light mullioned windows to 1st floor, paired gutter brackets, gable coping left, ashlar stacks with brick tops to left and right. No.134, right, is of squared gritstone with quoins to left gable end and has entrance right in plain surround with tie-stone jambs, basement window left and C20 paired windows to ground and upper floor. The date '1690' is painted on the eaves boarding. Rear: former entrance to No.130 left; No.138, right, has a tier of 3 taking-in doors, now windows. 2-, 3- and 4-light mullioned windows survive, the lights are narrow and several have mullions removed. Right return: former entrance to No.132; 2- and 3-light mullioned windows. No.134 (left) was formerly divided into 3 properties, Nos 130, 132 & 134; recent alterations have included the rebuilding of the front wall, removing a bricked-in shop window and a C19 sash; the date probably records a building on the site prior to the intensive development of this part of Wortley which followed the first phase of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, 1770-1777. INTERIOR: not inspected.



Listing NGR: SE2245336380

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 22453 36380

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255818 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 01:05:51.

End of official listing