This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RODLEY PRIMARY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED WALLS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RODLEY PRIMARY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED WALLS

List entry Number: 1255824

Location

RODLEY PRIMARY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED WALLS, TOWN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465629

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2236 TOWN STREET, Rodley 714-1/16/1048 (South West side) Rodley Primary School and attached walls

II

Formerly known as: Rodley Board School TOWN STREET Rodley. Board school with walls, gate piers, gate and railings. 1877, addition c1890. By Richard Adams. Coursed squared gritstone and ashlar, grey slate roof, cast-iron railings and gate. Gothic Revival style. Single storey; original small 4-bay school with gabled bay left, long projecting gabled wing on left probably slightly later. Round-arched entrance under lean-to far right; transom and mullion windows of 4 (stepped), 2, 4, 2 lights in original range, and 5 (stepped) lights to left wing. The windows have distinctive banded mullions and ogee and trefoil carved detail on the lintels; a moulded string is continued around the building at window-sill level. An added flat-roofed entrance porch in the angle between the two ranges has 8-panelled door and moulded parapet. Gable copings with trefoil finials, large square stepped stack straddles ridge to left of centre and at end, right; a ventilator on ridge of left wing. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: low walls with chamfered stone copings enclose playground to front, the roadside wall retains fine railings with alternate knob and trefoil finials, gate piers are monolithic, square bases, octagonal above, with frieze of trefoil panels and moulded caps with cresting; gate has lock rails and ornate scrolled infill between bars. Richard Adams was architect to the Leeds School Board from 1873-1886 and designed about 35 schools, of which 16 remained in 1991. This example was built to serve the expanding canalside hamlet of Wortley following the construction of engineering works and mills and uses the local stone for a single mixed schoolroom.

Listing NGR: SE2253436313

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 22534 36313

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255824 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 02:31:43.

End of official listing