WAR MEMORIAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255832
Date first listed:
05-Aug-1976
Statutory Address:
WAR MEMORIAL, THE HEADROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of WAR MEMORIAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255832 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 22:25:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
WAR MEMORIAL, THE HEADROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE2989033814

Details

LEEDS

SE2933NE THE HEADROW 714-1/75/396 (North side) 05/08/76 War Memorial

GV II

War memorial. 1922, restored 1992. Henry C Fahr sculptor, JE Proctor, designer. First and Second World Wars memorial. Marble octagonal steps, plinth and squat obelisk with carvings of owls, wreaths and flags, bronze figures of Peace on north side and War, (St George and the Dragon) on south. Bronze angel replaced 1992 by Ian Judd and Andy Elton. Moved to this site from City Square in 1937, to stand at the east end of JE Proctor's Garden of Rest. It was originally surmounted by a bronze figure of Victory, removed 1967. (Heap, A: The Headrow, a pictorial record: Leeds: 1990-: 17).



Listing NGR: SE2989033814



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 31 January 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465590
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Heap, A, The Headrow a Pictorial history, (1990), 17
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 31 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/120455
War Memorials Register, accessed 31 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/2111

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10403/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey R. Handford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].