159, BRIGGATE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255835

Date first listed: 15-Jan-1985

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: 159, BRIGGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 159, BRIGGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255835 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 09:38:40.

Location

Statutory Address: 159, BRIGGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30254 33346

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033SW BRIGGATE 714-1/78/66 (East side) 15/01/85 No.159 (Formerly Listed as: LOWER BRIGGATE No.159)

II

Shop and warehouse, now restaurant. Mid C18 reusing C17 roof structure, frontage rebuilt mid C19 and attic storey detailing added late C19; restoration 1989. Brick, rendered and with terracotta detail to front; probably slate roof. Frontage to Briggate of 3 storeys and attic; rear range of 3 storeys and 5 bays. Frontage: C20 ground floor with access to rear on left; 2nd and attic storey ornamented with architraves, scrolled pediments, moulded plaques and urn finials. INTERIOR: of rear range reputed (1983) to contain important roof structure comprising 3 king-post roof trusses, all with jointing for timber-framed side walling on underside of tie beam, and one having slots for a cross-wall. Surviving remains suggest that this is a roof structure reused in this context and a very rare survival of part of a house in the town centre before the extensive rebuilding during the mid-late C18. Recorded as a hotel in 1740 and a hotel and tavern in 1800. The yard to rear was Bower's Yard and the premises belonged to a wallpaper hanger and factor from c1870. (Michelmore, West Yorkshire Archaeology Service: Report on No.159 Briggate: 1983-).





Listing NGR: SE3025433346

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465593

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Michelmore, Report on Number 159 Briggate, (1983)

End of official listing