This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

92 AND 93, BRIGGATE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 92 AND 93, BRIGGATE

List entry Number: 1255858

Location

92 AND 93, BRIGGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465577

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033NW BRIGGATE 714-1/76/62 (East side) Nos.92 AND 93

GV II

Shop, now restaurant. c1600, refronted c1700 and c1800, largely rebuilt early 1924-26, altered late C20. Rebuilt to the designs of WH Beevers and AE Dixon of Leeds for William Greenwood as a jewellers shop and tea rooms. Timber-framed, tiled facade, probably steel-framed, roof not visible. 4 storeys, 3 bays, Classical style. Late C20 shop window to ground floor; 1st and 2nd floors have recessed windows of 2,3,2 lights with leaded panes and square panels with circles and acanthus motifs; flanking pilasters have Classical motifs including acanthus leaves and guttae, raised plaque below dentilled eaves cornice with lion masks. 3rd floor: paired central windows under triangular pediment, plaques to outer bays and panels with raised sunflower surmounted by urns. INTERIOR: first-floor north party wall: timber-framing recorded 1995 during building work, subsequently covered over. Approx 10m x 2m remains of presumably a merchant's house, c1700. Evidence of jettied gable to Briggate. The building occupied by William Greenwood, jewellers, 1920-1940. (RCHME: Historic Building Report: 92-93 Briggate: 1995-).



Listing NGR: SE3028433705

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Historic Building Report' in 92-93 Briggate, (1995)

National Grid Reference: SE 30284 33705

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255858 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 10:35:40.

End of official listing