THORNTONS BUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255861

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: THORNTONS BUILDINGS, 44, LANDS LANE

Statutory Address: THORNTONS BUILDINGS, 55-69, THE HEADROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of THORNTONS BUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255861 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 15:06:27.

Location

Statutory Address: THORNTONS BUILDINGS, 44, LANDS LANE

Statutory Address: THORNTONS BUILDINGS, 55-69, THE HEADROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30205 33737

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033NW THE HEADROW 714-1/76/391 (South side) Nos.55-69 (Odd) Thornton's Buildings

GV II

Includes: No.44 Thornton's Buildings LANDS LANE. Shops and offices. 1873, altered C20. Possibly by George Smith for Charles Thornton. Red brick, stone dressings, slate roof. 3 storeys, corner site with 9 bays to The Headrow and 4 to Lands Lane; 1 angled bay and a 2-window bay on left return, (City Varieties entrance). The windows grouped 2,1,3,2,2,2,3,1,2 to The Headrow, 3 to rounded corner and 2,2,1,2, to Lands Lane; round-arched to 1st floor, segmental to 2nd, attached columns, impost bands, keyed architraves, pilasters at bay divisions, deep eaves with raised brick panels, moulded strings, bracketed cornice, blocking course raised to balustrade over central 3 bays on The Headrow and over the rounded corner to Lands Lane, each having a segmental carved panel with scrolls and flowers and the words: 'ANNO DOMINI 1873' to The Headrow and 'THORNTON'S BUILDINGS to the Land's Lane corner. Ground floor: an original entrance, bay 2, has a stone surround with brackets and cornice; the original glazed overlight has 'THORNTON'S CHAMBERS' painted in gold; windows and shop entrances renewed but follow original bay divisions. INTERIOR: not inspected. Charles Thornton played a crucial part in the development of Leeds as a shopping centre, developing this corner and Thornton's Arcade (qv). (Heap, A: The Headrow, a pictorial record: Leeds: 1990-: 40).



Listing NGR: SE3021233736

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465581

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Heap, A, The Headrow a Pictorial history, (1990), 40

End of official listing