60, BOAR LANE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255866
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1995
Statutory Address:
60, BOAR LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 60, BOAR LANE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255866 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2019 at 21:59:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
60, BOAR LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30089 33382

Details

LEEDS

SE3033SW BOAR LANE 714-1/78/50 (North side) 29/09/95 No.60

GV II

Shop and offices. c1872, altered C20. Possibly by Thomas Ambler. Ashlar, slate roof. 4 storeys, 5 first-floor windows. Italianate style. Ground floor: late C20 boarded shop window within exposed C19 twin cast-iron columns of plain design with spiral reeding to lower third. 1st and 2nd floors: sashes in attached round arches with columns and keystones; pilaster with carved plaques at each end; square windows to 3rd floor, entablature with paterae, dentilled eaves cornice, shallow blocking course. INTERIOR: not inspected. The facade is identical to the original details of No.58 (qv). Part of the important surviving block on the north side of Boar Lane which is contemporary with the fine examples of later C19 shop, bank and office premises on the south side of Boar Lane, several by Ambler in a similar style. Like No.58 this property is not listed in the 1872 directory, suggesting a slightly later completion. By 1875 Jones and Calaum, drapers and silk merchants, were using the building, the business continuing until after 1888. (Directories of Leeds for 1872-1888).



Listing NGR: SE3009133384

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465543
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].