Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255867.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 22:00:18.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30099 33389



SE3033SW BOAR LANE 714-1/78/51 (North side) 29/09/95 Nos.61 AND 62


Shops and offices. c1870, altered C20. Rusticated ashlar, cast-iron details, slate roof. 4 storeys, a pair of 2 identical bays. Classical style. Ground floor: boarded late C20 shop fronts between C19 fluted cast-iron columns. Upper floors: sashes replaced with C20 casements; paired windows in architraves with pilasters, carved capitals, moulded strings and panels with scroll and key patterns; deep dentilled cornice on brackets support 2nd-floor cast-iron window balustrades and parapet with balustrade above 3rd floor. INTERIOR: not inspected. Identical in style to No.63 (qv), and originally to Nos 64 & 65 (now rebuilt and not included), a break in the line of the rustication indicates a separation between the properties. HISTORICAL NOTE: part of the important group surviving on the north side of Boar Lane which was rebuilt in the 1870s. In 1872 the 2 shops were occupied by G and NS Snook, draper, and C Goodall, stationer and bookseller; in 1875 the upper floors were occupied as Goodall's Chambers by The British Empire Mutual Life Insurance Company; H Budgett, tea etc merchant, and James Blakey, pawn broker. By 1888 No.61 was used by Jones and Co., sewing machine manufacturer, and No.62, probably together with the Chambers, by Goodall and Suddick, wholesale and retail stationers. (Directory of Leeds for 1872, 1875 and 1888).

Listing NGR: SE3010933396


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/13736/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Alison Claybourne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].