This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBERS 11 AND 12 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 11 AND 12 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1255876

Location

21 AND 23, LEICESTER GROVE
NUMBERS 11 AND 12 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 11 AND 12, BLENHEIM SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465517

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2934NE BLENHEIM SQUARE 714-1/72/35 (North East side) Nos.11 AND 12 and attached railings

GV II

Includes: Nos.21 AND 23 LEICESTER GROVE. Pair of houses with railings. 1822-31, altered C20. Red/brown brick, Flemish bond, rubbed brick details, slate roof. Each house of 3 storeys over basement and 3 windows wide with entrance right. Steps up to door with fanlight, fine glazing bars right (No.11); plain stone surround with keyed brick arch and imposts. Segmental arches to basement windows; upper floor frames replaced, stone sills and flat brick arches. Large multi-flue stacks straddle ridge between properties. Rear: No.11 (left) retains original stair window with glazing bars and large brick semicircular bay window with curved frame of glazing bars flanked by 8-pane margin lights. Bay window to No.12 (right) rendered, stair window opening has lower frame replaced. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings: enclose basement area, part replaced, alternate bud and flower finials. Part of the first stage of the development of 'Finsbury Square' shown on Fowler's map (1831). (Beresford M: East End, West End: Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684-1842: Leeds: 1988-: 344; Fowler C: Map of the town of Leeds and the Environs: 1831-; Ordnance Survey Map of Leeds: 1847-).





Listing NGR: SE2985834801

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, M W, East End West End The Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684 to 1842, (1988), 344

National Grid Reference: SE 29858 34801

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255876 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 03:41:57.

End of official listing