This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

VICTORIA BUILDINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: VICTORIA BUILDINGS

List entry Number: 1255882

Location

VICTORIA BUILDINGS, 24-28, BOAR LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465527

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033SW BOAR LANE 714-1/78/44 (South side) Nos.24-28 (Consecutive) Victoria Buildings

GV II

Warehouse, offices and shops. c1872, altered C20. Ashlar, probably grey slate roof concealed by elaborate dentilled cornice and a parapet flanking a bust of Queen Victoria in a pedimented niche. 4-storey corner site in Classical style; 12 first-floor windows: 8 to Boar Lane, 1 to corner, 3 to New Station Street. Elaborate architraves and cornices, some with shallow triangular pediments, to first floor; more restrained surrounds to 2nd floor and plain to 3rd; the 5 windows to right, 2nd and 3rd floors, Boar Lane facade, are taller, the heads breaking the decorative moulding line. C20 shop fronts to ground floor. The facade is divided horizontally by moulded bands at sill level and vertically by panelled pilasters. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: designed to unite the street frontages of New Station Street and Boar Lane when the new station access was created in 1873, the design of the facade reflects the varied uses to which the building was first put. The occupants in 1872/73 were: John Claybrough, shirt-maker and hosier (No.24), Lee Hardwick, solicitor and The Metropolitan Co-operative Consumers Company (No.25), Masser and Sons, lithographer and stationers (No.26), Hugh Davies, hosier (No.27), and R Goodson, mantle warehouse (No.28). In 1886 the mantle warehouse included a factory on the 4th floor. The pilasters on the parapet originally carried elaborate urns. (Porter T: Directory of Leeds and its Neighbourhood: 1872-; Insurance map of Leeds: 1886-; Photograph in collection of Leeds Civic Trust taken mid C20).



Listing NGR: SE3004833357

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Porter, T, Directory of Leeds and Neighbourhood, (1873)

National Grid Reference: SE 30048 33357

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255882 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 11:58:25.

End of official listing