Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255883.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Dec-2020 at 09:37:55.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30037 33358



SE3033SW BOAR LANE 714-1/78/45 (South side) 19/02/75 No.29


Inn and storerooms, now bank. c1873, altered C20. Orange brick, ashlar dressings, probably grey slate roof. Corner building with 3-window elevation to Boar Lane, 4 windows to Mill Hill and a curved window to the corner. Ornate Italianate style. Modillion cornice, parapet missing, elaborate corner pediment. 4 storeys. 1st-floor arcaded window arches with keyblocks, pilasters and pilaster shafts with carved capitals, Venetian window on corner. 2nd-floor 2-light round-arch windows with pilaster shafts in round-arch openings with decorative cast-iron tympanum, continuous carved impost and moulded sill cornice. 3rd-floor 2-light elliptical-arched windows with pilaster shafts and cable mould label over, moulded string at sill level. Ground floor: C20 bank facade to corner, original rusticated masonry and pilasters with segmental arch window and round arch carriageway far right. INTERIOR: not inspected. Built as the Saracen's Head public house, William Booth and Co., victualler. The design of the pilaster strip far left matches those on Nos 24-28 (qv), suggesting that the same architect was involved but the use of the building required a quite different building style. Parapet removed since 1975. (Directories of Leeds: 1872-1875; Insurance map of Leeds: 1886-).

Listing NGR: SE3003733358


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/13736/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Alison Claybourne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].