58, BOAR LANE, 2 AND 4, ALBION STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255886

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1995

Statutory Address: 2 AND 4, ALBION STREET

Statutory Address: 58, BOAR LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 58, BOAR LANE, 2 AND 4, ALBION STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255886 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 19:24:22.

Location

Statutory Address: 2 AND 4, ALBION STREET

Statutory Address: 58, BOAR LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30078 33384

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033SW BOAR LANE 714-1/78/48 (North side) 29/09/95 No.58

GV II

Includes: Nos.2 AND 4 ALBION STREET. Shop, offices and workshops. c1875 with c1930 alterations to 1st floor. Possibly by Thomas Ambler. Ashlar and brick. 4 storeys, 1 bay to Boar Lane, curved 1-bay corner and 1+2 bays to left return, (Nos 2 & 4 Albion Street). Late C20 facade to ground floor and 1st-floor sill level. Art Deco style 3-light window to tile-faced 1st floor. 2nd and 3rd floors have original fenestration of paired round-arched and square sashes in architraves with moulded bracketed sills, attached columns and keystones at 1st-floor level; dentilled eaves cornice, blocking course. Left return, ground and 1st floors: centre and right bays as front, with stylised plaques between 1st-floor windows; round-arched entry to rear yard far left is original, with remains of moulded relief bands of leaves and fine 2-leaf gates with bars, wavy pointed dog-bars, lock rail and semicircles. 2nd and 3rd floors: right bay as front; the remainder (Nos 2 & 4 Albion Street) is plain, with 4-pane sashes (one blind), stone sills, pilaster with carved kneeler far left, paired gutter brackets. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: Boar Lane was rebuilt from 1869 onwards and this site was first listed in the Directory in 1875 as the premises of the Wunzer Sewing Machine Company, the manager, George Elliot Clifford, possibly living on the premises. By 1878 a hosier, boot and shoe dealer and umbrella manufacturer were using the premises and by 1888 they had been taken over by W Whitelock, pianoforte dealer. The directory entries suggest that Nos 58 & 60 (qv) were completed slightly later than their neighbours, the same architect working on both infill blocks; the similarity with other Boar Lane buildings suggests Ambler's work. Included for group value.



Listing NGR: SE3008233387

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465535

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing