NUMBERS 5 AND 6 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255895
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
9 AND 11, LEICESTER GROVE
Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 5 AND 6 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 5 AND 6, BLENHEIM SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 5 AND 6 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255895 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2019 at 17:18:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
9 AND 11, LEICESTER GROVE
Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 5 AND 6 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 5 AND 6, BLENHEIM SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 29890 34774

Details

LEEDS

SE2934NE BLENHEIM SQUARE 714-1/72/32 (North East side) Nos.5 AND 6 and attached railings

GV II

Includes: Nos.9 AND 11 LEICESTER GROVE. Pair of houses with railings. 1831-1839, altered C20. Red/brown brick, Flemish bond, rubbed brick details, slate roof. 3 storeys over basement, each house 3 windows wide with entrance right. Steps up to door, 6-panel on right, with roundels in fanlight, wooden surround in keyed arch with imposts. Basement windows have segmental arches, 16 panes; upper windows sashes, with glazing bars to 1st floor, stone sills, flat brick arches. Large multi-flue stacks straddle ridge between properties. Rear: No.6 (right) retains original stair window. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings: wrought-iron, enclose basement area and flank steps, alternate wavy and straight rails, bud finials. One of the 3 pairs of houses built in the 2nd stage of the development of the terrace originally called Finsbury Square (Fowler 1831). The oval garden was made but the terrace on the S side was never built. (Beresford, M: East End, West End: the Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684-1: Leeds: 1988-: 344; Fowler, C: Map of the town of Leeds and the Environs: 1831-; Map of Leeds: 1847-).



Listing NGR: SE2989034774

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465509
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, M W, East End West End The Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684 to 1842, (1988), 344

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]storicEngland.org.uk.