This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBERS 7 AND 8 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 7 AND 8 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1255896

Location

13 AND 15, LEICESTER GROVE
NUMBERS 7 AND 8 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 7 AND 8, BLENHEIM SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465512

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2934NE BLENHEIM SQUARE 714-1/72/33 (North East side) Nos.7 AND 8 and attached railings

GV II

Includes: Nos.13 AND 15 LEICESTER GROVE. Pair of houses with railings. 1822-31, altered C20. Red/brown brick, Flemish bond, rubbed brick details, slate roof. Each of 3 storeys over basement and 3 windows wide with entrance right. Steps up to 6-panel door with fanlight in plain stone surround with keyed brick arch and imposts right (No.7), door and fanlight to No.8 altered. Segmental-arched basement windows, sashes and casements to upper floors, frames replaced, stone sills and flat brick arches. Large multi-flue stacks straddle ridge between properties. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings: enclose basement area and flank steps: bud finials. Part of the first stage of the development of Finsbury Square (Fowler 1831) which was first advertised in 1822. The first 8 houses (now Nos 7-14) were shown on Fowler's map (1831) and the oval garden was laid out; the S terrace was never built. (Beresford M: East End, West End: Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684-1842: Leeds: 1988-: 344; Fowler C: Map of the town of Leeds and the Environs: 1831-).



Listing NGR: SE2987934783

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, M W, East End West End The Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684 to 1842, (1988), 344

National Grid Reference: SE 29879 34783

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255896 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 01:51:33.

End of official listing