7, THE HEADROW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255901
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
7, THE HEADROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of 7, THE HEADROW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255901.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 11:37:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
7, THE HEADROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30371 33704

Details

LEEDS

SE3033NW THE HEADROW 714-1/76/386 (South side) No.7

GV II

House, now restaurant. Probably early C19, retaining remains of C17 and possibly earlier structure. Rendered, stone slate roof. 3 storeys, 2 first- and second floor windows to street, a narrow range projecting back approx 6 bays from the street. Restaurant facade to ground floor, sashes above. INTERIOR: reputed to contain roof timbers of C17 or medieval date. The building retains its C18/C19 character in a street largely altered in the later C19 and C20. The 1850 Ordnance Survey map indicates that this is the site of Rockley Hall, bought by John Harrison in 1603 and described by Ralph Thoresby in 1715 as an antique form of timber building. Thoresby records that a new brick building then stood on the site, some of the timbers reused. Although considerably altered through the C19 it is likely that the existing building retains these earlier features. (Heap, A: The Headrow, a pictorial history: Leeds: 1990-: 48).



Listing NGR: SE3037133704

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465467
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Heap, A, The Headrow a Pictorial history, (1990), 48

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10403/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey R. Handford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].