Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of BELLE VUE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255908.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 16:03:10.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 28920 34028



SE23SE BELLE VIEW LAWN 714-1/10/23 (North West side) 21/08/75 No.3 Belle Vue House


Large house, now flats. 1793, converted c1974. For Michael Wainhouse. Red brick, ashlar plinth, slate hipped roof, end stacks. Parapet, rebuilt modillion cornice and band at 1st-floor level. 2 storeys and cellar. 1:3:1 windows, centre 3 in projection with pediment over with elliptical window in tympanum, now blocked. 4-pane sashes, flat brick arches, sills, continuous sill bands to 1st floor centre and ground floor. Central doorway with moulded architrave, fluted frieze and pediment on console brackets. Palladian stair window at rear. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: Belle Vue was built on 3 and a half acres of land bought by Michael Wainhouse in February 1792 at »390 per acre. It was one of the plain brick villas built late C18 by cloth merchants wishing to escape from the polluted atmosphere of Park Square and other central areas. Wainhouse's workshops and warehouse were at the Park Lane entrance to the long drive which had to curve up the steep slope to the house. (Thoresby Society Publication Vols LX & LXI, Nos 131 & 132: Beresford MW: East End, West End. The Face of Leeds 1684-1842: Leeds: 1988-: 309, 323, 325).

Listing NGR: SE2892034028


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Beresford, M W, East End West End The Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684 to 1842, (1988), 309, 323
Beresford, M W, East End West End The Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684 to 1842, (1988), 325
'Thoresby Society Publication' in Thoresby Society Publication, (), 131
'Thoresby Society Publication' in Thoresby Society Publication, (), 132


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12310/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Krystyna Szulecka. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].