Former Parochial Institute


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Former Parochial Institute, Bennett Road, Leeds, LS6 3HN


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255909.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2021 at 08:08:20.


Statutory Address:
Former Parochial Institute, Bennett Road, Leeds, LS6 3HN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 27818 36080


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/04/2019

SE2736SE 714-1/61/722

LEEDS Headingley BENNETT ROAD (South side) Former Parochial Institute


GV II Meeting rooms for St Michael's parish church, now offices. 1883-1884, converted C20. By George Corson. Coursed squared sandstone with freestone dressings and Welsh slate roofs. Gothic Revival style. T-shaped plan with gable end to street and wing at rear.

Two gable front, the smaller on the left projects forward and contains the entrance. This has a short column and two half-columns with capitals of naturalistic foliage. Above these are sculpted panels, St Michael and the dragon to the front, the Royal Arms to the side. Paired lancet to the left, quatrefoil in gable. The right hand gable has a buttress flanking the central door with side lights and mullioned window over. Flanking windows are three-light mullion and transom. Large traceried Gothic window above and small lancet in gable. Diagonal buttress to corner. Two- and three-light mullion and transom windows to side elevations and rear wing.

INTERIOR: meeting hall above rooms and offices. Hall with four windows either side. Ribbed wooden ceiling of 18 bays, a central tunnel vault supported on five curious decorated semicircular wrought-iron trusses. The roof is close boarded. Concrete stair with wrought-iron twist balustrade. Main downstairs room (partitioned) has low relief panelled ceiling.

Listing NGR: SE2781836080


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/06267/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pennie Keech. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].