This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

2, THE BOURSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 2, THE BOURSE

List entry Number: 1255917

Location

2, THE BOURSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465446

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033SW THE BOURSE 714-1/78/15 (East side) 22/03/74 No.2 (Formerly Listed as: ALFRED STREET No.3) (Formerly Listed as: BOAR LANE (South side) Nos.20A AND 21)

GV II

Offices and warehouse premises. c1880. Ashlar, grey slate roof. Italianate style. 3 storeys, 9 bays, entrance bays 4 & 6 in an almost symmetrical facade. Doorway, bay 4, with moulded architrave and rectangular fanlight; blocked wide round-arched entrance, bay 6, with fluted pilasters and keyblocks. Windows: ground floor in moulded architraves with scroll decoration over, 1st floor rectangular with moulded heads, 2nd floor round-headed with keyblocks. Moulded cornices to each floor level, flat pilasters, moulded impost bands. Eaves obscured by scaffolding at time of resurvey. INTERIOR: not inspected but reputed to contain restaurant premises to first floor, left, with ornate plaster ceiling, linked to No.21 Boar Lane (qv). HISTORICAL NOTE: the property was probably owned by the Leeds Gas Light Company when Boar Lane was redeveloped in 1869; the restaurant was in use by 1886 and at that date the rooms to right of the wide entrance were used by WH Turner and Co., Tobacco Factory, (Insurance map). One of the few late C19 unaltered ground-floor frontages in the area. (Insurance company plan of Leeds city centre: Leeds: 1886-; Borough of Leeds: Improvement Plan of Building Sites in Leeds City Centre: Leeds: 1869-).



Listing NGR: SE3011733336

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Borough of Leeds, , Improvement Plan of Building Sites in Leeds City Centre, (1869)

National Grid Reference: SE 30112 33337

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255917 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 04:44:54.

End of official listing