Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255925.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Dec-2020 at 01:28:00.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30587 33286



SE3033SE HIGH COURT LANE 714-1/79/206 (East side) 21/02/92 No.19


House, now warehouse. Late C18/early C19 with late C19 alterations. Rendered brick, grey slate roof with large stack to right. 3 storeys, 3 first-floor windows: 4-pane sashes, slightly cambered arched heads, narrower central window, smaller windows just below eaves to 2nd floor. Central door with overlight, flanking canted bay windows. Rear: stair window left, 12-pane sash to top story, right, C20 frame below. No.17 (qv), on north side, probably part of the house which in 1847 had bow windows (OS map). INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: the site was an important one, being just west of the parish church and close to the river wharves and occupied since at least the early C18 (Cossins map). The group, with Nos 15, 17 (qqv) & 21 (not included), was possibly built as a complex of merchant's house, workers' housing and warehouse in the later C18. The National School (1812) stood just to the east, across the school yard, suggesting that this house might have been associated with it. The area declined as a residential quarter during the C19 and particularly after the construction of the railway viaduct in 1869. A lodging house in 1902 (Insurance map), by which time the bay windows had been built.

Listing NGR: SE3058733286


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08410/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Karran. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].