SE3033SE THE CALLS
714-1/79/382 (South side)
Nos.40 AND 42
Warehouses, mill and office premises, now hotel and
restaurant. Early C19, enlarged mid C19, converted c1990.
Brick, English and random bond, the east and west ranges dark
red, irregularly shaped on east, the central range orange;
stone details; slate roofs. 3 parallel 4-storey ranges, gables
to river, the west range having a 2-storey office range at the
north (street) end.
Street frontage: office block has 2 first-floor windows and
inserted doorway, right; left return, to yard: blocked cart
entrance, glazing-bar sash window above, in flush wood frame
with cambered rubbed-brick arch and stone sill; remaining
Main ranges: central block open on ground floor, left block
ground floor obscured by added boiler house block, right range
by office block. Segmental-arched windows, wooden hoist cover
to top floor, centre; external stack to centre of right gable.
River frontage: left (west) range; blocked loading door with
cambered arch and hinge stones to each floor, right; 5 tiers
of small windows to left.
Central range: central loading doors, remains of hoist cover,
flanked by large multi-pane windows, all with segmental
arches. Right range: Central wide, low elliptical-arched
opening to each floor, key and top hinge-stones; flanking
taller segmental-arched windows.
INTERIOR: ground floor only examined in part; west range, 5
cylindrical columns support cross beams of timber clasping a
cast-iron beam, closely-set joists on edge; the outer wall
rebuilt outside original line. Central range, re-used
cylindrical cast-iron pillars. East range, an elliptical
archway, stone details as river front, now opens into central
range; steel girders support upper floor.
The central range is a mid C19 infill of the yard and wharf
area between the earlier warehouses. The wharf site is early
C18 at least; there was a jetty at the end of Alderman
Cookson's garden shown on the 1725 map. By 1770 the east side
was built up; by 1815 two parallel ranges flanked the wharf
which stood at the end of the Calls and the south end of a
narrow lane which became Wharf Street. By 1831 Wharf Street
was built up entirely and by 1847 the site of the office range
was occupied. The central range was built between 1866 and
1887. The building was the Palmer Bros mill by the 1850s and
belonged to Wright Bros, corn millers in 1887.
(Cossins, J: A New and Exact plan of the town of Leeds: 1725-;
Jefferys, T: A plan of Leeds: 1770-; Netlam and Frances Giles:
Plan of the town of Leeds and its Environs: 1815-; Fowler, C:
Plan of the town of Leeds: 1831-; Captain Tucker, surveyor: OS
Map, Scale 5 feet : 1 inch: 1850-; Brierley, W: Map of the
town of Leeds: 1866-).
Listing NGR: SE3051633255