CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1255967

Date first listed: 26-Sep-1963

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HEADINGLEY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255967 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 02:32:07.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HEADINGLEY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 28011 35957

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2835NW HEADINGLEY LANE, Headingley 714-1/64/777 (South West side) 26/09/63 Church of St Michael

GV II*

Anglican church. 1884-5. By JL Pearson. In Gothic Revival style. Coursed squared gritstone, tiled roofs. PLAN: nave with large clerestory, chancel, N and S transepts, N and S aisles. EXTERIOR: tall W tower with thin broach spire and pinnacles. Turreted E gable of chancel, 2 tiers of 3 lancet windows. West end: shallow porch between buttresses has double doors with decorative hinges, attached triple columns, dogtooth mouldings, statue of St Michael in apex of pitched roof; 4-light window with quatrefoil tracery, 3-stage tower above has paired 2-light windows and tall stone-louvred belfry stage. INTERIOR: 3-bay nave, shallow transepts, 3-bay chancel. Nave has cylindrical columns, attached columns on inner face of walling rise between clerestory windows to plain chamfered arches which divide the timber roof. Red and black tiled nave floor, wooden blocks to seating areas, polychrome marble floor to chancel. Alabaster octagonal font with carved biblical scenes on short granite columns; alabaster pulpit by Pearson has preaching figures and similar short columns; wrought-iron screen to chancel and S aisle chapel; lectern with polychrome marble base and brass figures of lions and angels, by Hardman Powel and Co., Birmingham, the inscription 'TO THE GLORY OF GOD, EASTER 1889'; reredos by Temple Moore, 1905 is of carved, gilded and painted wood with figures of Christ in Glory flanked by St George and St Michael and surrounded by saints of the early English church. A brass plaque at the W end of the church records that the memorial stone was laid 29 September 1884 by the Bishop of Ripon, the church was consecrated 8 July 1886, the top stone of the spire fixed 22 October 1890 and the reredos was dedicated 14 December 1905. A large, impressive church.



Listing NGR: SE2801135957

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465404

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing