BAPTIST CHURCH AND CHURCH HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256025
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
BAPTIST CHURCH AND CHURCH HALL, SOUTH PARADE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BAPTIST CHURCH AND CHURCH HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256025 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 14:07:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
BAPTIST CHURCH AND CHURCH HALL, SOUTH PARADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 27607 35976

Details

LEEDS

SE2735 SOUTH PARADE, Headingley 714-1/23/821 (West side) Baptist Church and Church Hall

GV II

Baptist church and former Sunday School, now offices and church hall, with forecourt wall and railings. Sunday School 1908 by Percy Robinson and William Alban Jones; church 1925 by WA Jones and JE Stocks. MATERIALS: red brick with Horsforth stone dressings, green Westmorland slate roofs, wrought-iron railings. STYLE: Free Gothic. EXTERIOR: the Sunday school range faces South Parade and is of 2 storeys over a basement. T-plan with a 3-storey tower entrance recessed left with foundation stone: 'THIS STONE WAS LAID/ BY/ HENRY BARRAN ESQ JP/ SEPTEMBER 19TH 1908'. The main facade is of 3 bays, the tall central gabled bay with mullioned windows to ground floor and a 5-light window with Perpendicular tracery above; flanking stone porches with double doors, overlights, in moulded arch with carved panels. Mullioned windows with leaded rectangular cames; deep eaves, pitched roof, 2 ridge stacks. Forecourt wall and railings: approx 20m long and 1m high, a low brick wall with stone coping and railings with scroll motif to standards. Right return: the hall range is set back and has mullioned windows and an added flat-roofed storey centre. The church facade faces onto the North Lane-Kirkstall Lane junction: a wide gable with 3-light traceried window and narrow lancet windows, foundation stones to left and right: 'THIS STONE WAS LAID/ BY/ ALFRED BARRAN ESQ JP/ JUNE 27TH 1925' and 'THIS STONE WAS LAID/ BY/ J. CLIFTON TOWN. ESQ/ JUNE 27TH 1925'. The flanking single-storey porches have stone pointed arches and stepped gables. INTERIOR: Sunday School hall is of 6 bays and has the original baptistry below the floor, podium and original wooden screens, fittings, timber braces and carved wooden panels; the entrance lobby has a stone staircase with wrought-iron balustrade and wooden handrail; on the 1st floor the principal lecture room lit by the 5-light window has end fireplaces with original wooden panelled surrounds; the 2 pairs of double doors are part glazed with leaded lights. The main body of the church is wide and high, with short transepts and baptistry and organ at the W end. Chamfered square-section pillars support a wide pointed-arched roof of 6 bays with plasterwork of rose and vine motifs; low side aisles

and arched clerestory windows. Oak doors, wall panelling and pulpit, green and white marble baptistry, shield motifs in green glass in the leaded windows. Throughout the building the materials are of high quality. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Baptist Church congregation was able to bring the name 'South Parade' when it removed from their city centre church, having established the Harehills church in 1906. The cost of the Sunday School premises was »7,359 including the site, and the church, partly paid for by the sale of the city centre site, cost »13,500. The contractors were Ullathorne and Son of Selby. (South Parade Baptist Church: Architectural Description of the New Building: 1925-).



Listing NGR: SE2760735976

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465330
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
South Parade Baptist Church Architectural Description of the New Building, (1925)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06461/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pennie Keech. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].