VICTORIA MILLS EAST AND NORTH EAST RANGES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256029

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: VICTORIA MILLS EAST AND NORTH EAST RANGES, SOVEREIGN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of VICTORIA MILLS EAST AND NORTH EAST RANGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256029 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 17:39:48.

Location

Statutory Address: VICTORIA MILLS EAST AND NORTH EAST RANGES, SOVEREIGN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30115 33049

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033SW SOVEREIGN STREET 714-1/78/360 (South side) 05/08/76 Victoria Mills, east and north-east ranges (Formerly Listed as: SOVEREIGN STREET Victoria Mills)

II

Oil and dye ware mill, now industrial buildings. Dated 1836, and mid C19 with later alterations. Red brick with slate roof and various brick stacks. L-plan with wing extending to rear left. 4 and 5 storeys, 6-window range in all facing Sovereign Street. Mainly 2-light casements with top lights together with 3 first-floor sashes to right, gauged brick arches. Carriageway arch to right leads to yard. Smaller arches like blind arcade to left and right filled with windows and door. Hoist doors to left. Projection to far left is part of left rear wing dated 1836. Left side elevation is a 13-window range in all of 2, and 3-light windows, the front corner canted. The end gable facing River Aire is a 4-window range with also central hoist doors to each storey and pedimented gable with datestone at apex, flanked by scrolls, stone coping and scroll kneelers. Mainly slightly cambered brick arches to openings. Fenestration similar within the yard but smaller openings. INTERIOR: not inspected. The earlier wing was built in 1836 by the Victoria Ware Company who were in occupation until 1843. The next occupant was the Victoria Mill Co., until c1865 and the wing appears to have been built by 1847. On OS map Victoria Mills is named as being for linseed. (Ward MF (unpublished PhD thesis, University of Leeds): Industrial Development in Leeds North of River Aire 1775-1914: 1973-: 388).



Listing NGR: SE3011533049

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465334

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ward, M F, Industrial Development and Location in Leeds North of the River Aire 1775-1914, (1973), 388

End of official listing