This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RETAINING WALL TO LEEDS ZOOLOGICAL AND BOTANICAL GARDENS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RETAINING WALL TO LEEDS ZOOLOGICAL AND BOTANICAL GARDENS

List entry Number: 1256036

Location

RETAINING WALL TO LEEDS ZOOLOGICAL AND BOTANICAL GARDENS, SPRING ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465341

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2735 SPRING ROAD, Headingley 714-1/23/822 (South side) Retaining wall to Leeds Zoological and Botanical Gardens

II

Part of the retaining wall to the Zoological and Botanical Gardens, now garden wall. 1838, coping late C19. Probably by William Billington. Coursed squared gritstone. Approx 2.5m high, overall length approx 25m, rounding the corner with Chapel Lane. Former entrance: piers with added modillion cornice and square capstone, plain walling between; flanked by paired recessed panels left and 2 recessed panels divided by a pilaster right. 6 shallow pilasters in all, later coping. The most substantial remains of the boundary wall which enclosed 17 acres to the south; the gardens were contemporary with those at Manchester and after those at Sheffield (1833) and Liverpool (1836). (Douglas, J. (Victorian Society), pers. comm.).



Listing NGR: SE2790535697

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 27905 35697

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256036 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 12:38:25.

End of official listing