This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GROUP OF 3 GRAVESTONES IN THE OLD GRAVEYARD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GROUP OF 3 GRAVESTONES IN THE OLD GRAVEYARD

List entry Number: 1256037

Location

GROUP OF 3 GRAVESTONES IN THE OLD GRAVEYARD, HARROGATE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465342

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3036 HARROGATE ROAD, Chapel Allerton 714-1/19/583 (East side (off)) Group of 3 gravestones in the Old Graveyard

GV II

3 gravestones on the S side of the site of the old church. Late C17 and early C18. Gritstone, 3 are small shaped headstones. From E to W: (i) Round-arched headstone, 'HERE L(IETH)/ HINTERRED/ THE BODY OF MARY/ SEDGFIELD WIFE OF/ WILLIAM SEDGFIELD/ WHO DEPARTED THIS/ LIFE JANUARY THE 9th/ (ANNO) DOMINI 1725'. (ii) Cyma-moulded headstone with incised scrolls, 'HERE LIETH /INTERRED THE/ BODY OF THOMAS/ HOLBERRY/ WHO DEPARTED/ THIS LIFE NOVEMBER THE/ (...)th ANNO DOMi 1729'. (iii) Headstone with cyma-moulded top, 'HERE/ LIETH INTERRED/ THE BODY OF SARAH/ WIFE OF WILLIAM/ HODGHON WHO DIED/ AUGUST THE 7th 1730'. The stones have deeply carved and finely ornamented lettering typical of the period and the group represents some of the earliest marked burials surviving from the setting of the medieval chapel. HISTORICAL NOTE: the chapel became the Church of St Matthew mid C18, was enlarged 1819, again in 1840, had clock, spire and bells added 1854, was repaired and extended 1865 and replaced by the present church (qv) in 1898. The building was demolished in 1935. A Roman altar was found in the northern part of the graveyard in 1879. (Faulkner, R: Chapel Allerton - from Village to Suburb: Leeds: 11; Ordnance Survey Map SE 3036, 1966 edition).





Listing NGR: SE3069036948

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Faulkner, R , Chapel Allerton From Village to Suburb11

National Grid Reference: SE 30690 36948

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256037 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 05:22:17.

End of official listing