CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256042

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, HARROGATE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256042 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 17:53:39.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, HARROGATE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30707 39307

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE33NW HARROGATE ROAD, Moor Allerton 714-1/7/988 (West side) Church of St John the Evangelist

GV II

Anglican church. 1853, enlarged 1889. By Joseph Thompson. Coursed squared gritstone, grey slate roof. PLAN: 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, 3-stage W tower with broach spire; 1889 transepts, vestry and organ chamber. Gothic Revival style. EXTERIOR: lancet windows and stepped buttresses to nave, 2-light chancel windows, 5-light at E end very plain with ashlar panels and hoodmould. 3-light transept windows; tower has S door in Gothic arch with hoodmould and head stops, quatrefoil windows to 2nd stage, paired belfry windows, lucarne windows to spire. Stepped buttresses, moulded strings, gable copings and cross finials. INTERIOR: wide arches to transepts and chancel, short attached columns with foliate caps, painted ceiling panels, scissor-brace roof trusses. Quatrefoil marble font, brass eagle lectern dated 1889. One of the 13 churches and 10 chapels built in Leeds 1840-53; the land was given by Sir Thomas Beckett. (A brief history of the Church of St John the Evangelist: 1978-).



Listing NGR: SE3070739307

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465347

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
A Brief History of the Church of St John the Evangelist, (1978)

End of official listing