CHURCH OF ST ANDREW ROUNDHAY AND SUNDAY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256072

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW ROUNDHAY AND SUNDAY SCHOOL, SHAFTESBURY AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW ROUNDHAY AND SUNDAY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256072 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 06:28:18.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW ROUNDHAY AND SUNDAY SCHOOL, SHAFTESBURY AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 32198 38350

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE33NW SHAFTESBURY AVENUE, Roundhay 714-1/7/1065 (West side) 05/08/76 Church of St Andrew Roundhay and Sunday School (Formerly Listed as: SHAFTESBURY AVENUE, Lidgett Park St Andrews Roundhay United Reformed Church)

GV II

United Reform Church and Sunday School. Dated 1901 and 1907 (foundation stone). By WH Beevers. Rock-faced gritstone laid in diminishing courses, red tile roof. PLAN: church aligned almost N-S, nave, chancel, transepts and 'SW' tower. Sunday School attached to the E (north) end. Gothic Revival style. Orientations below are ritual. EXTERIOR: mostly segmental-headed 2-light windows with Perpendicular tracery, the N transept and 5-light W windows have pointed arches. Polygonal apse with gable over centre 3-light window, flanked by 2-light. Tall but slim 3-stage tower with set-back buttresses, segmental-arched doorway with corner stone to left laid by William Derry, 26 October 1907, on plinth below: 'W H BEEVERS A.R.I.B.A. Architect'. Clock in hexagonal panel and blind panels with cusped heads to 2nd stage, tall 2-light belfry with segmental moulded heads; gabled buttresses rise to pinnacles with flat heads above moulded parapet. Sunday School, 1 storey, 2 bays; steps up to entrance with stepped hoodmould right, memorial stone to right laid by TH Dodgshun, President of the Leeds Congregational Council, November 1901. Large 4-light window with Perpendicular tracery in gabled projection right, small ogee-domed ventilator on ridge centre. INTERIOR: church has 5-bay nave with open timber roof, wooden panelling to dado, dais has composite stone floor with pink fleurs-de-lis. East window depicts parable of the Good Samaritan, in memory of James Risk d.1907; N transept 4-light Beatitudes window in memory of Mary Elizabeth Harrison Derry d.1901.

Listing NGR: SE3219838350

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465285

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing