NEWTON GROVE (TERRACE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256086
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
NEWTON GROVE (TERRACE), 6, 7 AND 8, HAREHILLS AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEWTON GROVE (TERRACE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256086 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 04:36:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
NEWTON GROVE (TERRACE), 6, 7 AND 8, HAREHILLS AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 31019 35773

Details

LEEDS

SE33NW HAREHILLS AVENUE, Potternewton 714-1/7/1031 (North side) Newton Grove (terrace), Nos.6, 7 and 8

GV II

3 terrace houses. 1860-1870. Coursed squared stone and ashlar, slate roof. 3 houses, each of 3 storeys over basement and with 3 first-floor windows. No.6 (left) has stone steps up to panelled door with fanlight in round arch with impost moulding and keystone, ashlar surround with large console brackets supporting cornice and blocking piece. Segmental-arched 4-pane sashes in architraves with sill brackets and keystones, diminishing in height at each floor. Stone gutter brackets, gable coping left, reduced stone stack forward of ridge, right. Nos 7 & 8 are set down slightly; they have stone steps to porch with Tuscan columns supporting entablature, cornice and blocking course; large canted bay window right with stone pilaster-mullions, entablature, cornice and blocking course. First floors: 6-pane sashes in moulded architraves linked by moulded sill band; 2nd floor: almost square 4-pane sashes in moulded architraves. Moulded eaves cornice, stone stacks forward of ridge centre and right. INTERIOR: not inspected. This row matches Nos 2-4 (qv) with only slight variations in sill and eaves details. The 1870 Directory indicates that they were then occupied by 2 vicars and a leather merchant.



Listing NGR: SE3101935773

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465299
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Whites Directory' in Leeds, (1870)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].